- Moong Dal : 1 cup
- Drumstick : 2 ( cut lenghthwise)
- Green mango : 1/2 ( cut into medium cubed pieces)
- Radish : 1/2 of a medium size (optional)
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt : tastewise
- Sambar masala : aachi (any brand you can use)
- Roasted Cumin powder : 1/2 tea spoon
- Roasted Coriander powder : 1/2 tea spoon
- Dry red chilli : 2 piece
- Ginger paste : 1 tea spoon
- Tomato : 1 medium size ( finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds : 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves : 10-12 pieces
- Ghee : 1 tea spoon
- HIng : 1 tea spoon
- Dry roast the moong dal until it changes colour and a very nice aroma is coming .
- Now wash the dal and give it 2 whistle with salt and turmeric powder.
- Take a kadai, add oil and let it hot. Add mustard seeds, dry chilli and hing .After few seconds add ginger paste and chopped tomatoes.Cook for 5 mins.
- Add all the cut vegetables , fry for some time.Now add sambar powder , salt , sugar , roasted cumin and coriander powder and mix them very well and fry for some time. Make sure the dry masala should not burn.
- Add the boiled moong dal and cook a while. Add water and cook at least for another 10 mins with lid.
- At last take a small pan , add ghee and make it hot . Add mustard seeds , curry leaves and a pinch of hing. Add this tadka to the sambar .From top add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Sambar is a very famous dish in India. Everyone loves it with Dhosa , Idli , or Plain rice . The above Sambar recipe is a different style what is very very yummy. Please try and share your experience in comment box.